New York, I love you
Although I spend the majority of my time in Buenos Aires these days, I called the Big Apple home for over eight years. The city’s exciting, vibrant atmosphere never ceases to amaze me and I always find myself energized and inspired after a trip back. One of the things I love about the city is the way that New Yorkers always come together when they most need to. And they did just that when Hurricane Sandy swept across the East Coast two weeks ago. I was touched (but not at all surprised) by the stories I heard about people selflessly offering up their time, their homes, and their power cords to help anyone who needed it. So, as my little tribute to my old home, here are some of my favorite New York spots.
1. Billy’s Bakery – In my humble opinion there are Billy’s red velvet cupcakes and then there are all others.
2. Journelle- Beautiful lingerie from all over the world displayed in an equally lovely atmosphere.
3. Mermaid Inn- An adorable oyster bar with outposts in the Village and UWS. Spaghetti with salad on top. Need I say more?
4. Physique 57- A super challenging, but oh-so-effective workout favored by celebrities and chic city ladies alike. Your legs will shake but your buns will thank you!
5. Chelsea Market- Taking up an entire block in Chelsea, this is my foodie heaven.
6. Brooklyn Flea- Treasure hunt anyone? Hundreds of vendors come together every weekend to offer “antique and repurposed furniture, vintage clothing, collectibles and antiques, as well as a tightly curated selection of jewelry, art, and crafts by local artisans and designers, plus delicious fresh food.”
7. Union Square Greenmarket- Just-picked fruits and vegetables, delicious cheeses, fresh breads, and gorgeous flowers from local vendors and farmers.
8. Peking Duck House- No trip to NYC is complete without peking duck and crispy beef!
9. Pravda- This underground speakeasy is a Russian caviar bar with NY’s best vodka selection. Watch out for the bohemian martinis – deliciously dangerous.